Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Celebrating the Blue and Gold

Did you know that it's National FFA Week?  Every year during the week of George Washington's birthday, FFA chapters across the country celebrate this wonderful organization.  Back when I was in school, that meant a row of tractors in the parking lot, wearing official dress to school, and mostly just spreading the word about the awesomeness that is FFA!





A friend of mine (that I met through FFA!) shared a blog on Facebook yesterday from The Pinke Post.  The post titled "Why is FFA Relevant For Our Future" is a fantastic read and sent me running down memory lane back to my days of blue and gold.  This morning I decided to check on the status of my former corduroy jackets tucked in an old garment bag in the back of a closet.  





A tiny mustard seed pin was still attached to the collar of one jacket.  I'm not sure why I put it on there so long ago, but I can see its relevance now.  Like the parable of the mustard seed, FFA and the knowledge and skills gained through it, may last only a short time and seem such a small part of your life, but they grow into something magnificent over the years.  I still use skills I learned in FFA even on something so trivial as going to the grocery store (Meat and Poultry judging anyone?).  I would not be who I am today if it were not for FFA, the people I met through FFA, and the opportunities and experiences I gained through FFA activities. 




As I was looking over the jackets, I noticed there were some things in the pockets.  In the pocket of one jacket was the FFA scarf the ladies wear with official dress.  It was the safest place to keep it so you weren't hunting it down whenever it was time to put on your official dress!  And in the pocket of the other jacket was this tiny wooden gavel!  I can't remember where I got it, but I imagine it was from my time serving as chapter and district President.




So Happy FFA Week!  If you are or were a former FFA member, I'm sure you have your own reasons why FFA is important!  And if you weren't in FFA, I hope you can still appreciate the lasting affect it has on those of us who were!

No comments:

Post a Comment